Recipe by icetea
the very best ever potato salad you will ever have, hands down!!
Top Review by icesk8princess
Similar to an old family recipe, my family enjoyed the sweet with the tangy, as well as the crunchiness with the softer potatoes. I thinned down the mayo/mustard mixture with a little sweet pickle juice so it coated the ingredients nicely. Very nice that it isn't saturated in mayo!
- 2 lbs red potatoes, scrubbed (about 6 medium or 18 small)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and cut into 1 to 2 inch dice
- 1 stalk celery, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 1⁄4 cup sweet gherkin, minced
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cover potatoes with 1 inch of water in stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Bring to simmer over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring once or twice to ensure even cooking, until potatoes are tender (a thin-bladed paring knife can be slipped into and out of center of potatoes with no resistance), 25 to 30 minutes for medium potatoes or 15 to 20 minutes for new potatoes.
- Drain; cool potatoes slightly and peel if you like.
- Cut potatoes into 3/4-inch cubes (use serrated knife if they have skins) while still warm, rinsing knife occasionally in warm water to remove starch.
- Place warm potato cubes in large bowl.
- Add vinegar, 1-2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and toss gently.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool, about 20 minutes.
- When potatoes are cool, toss with remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Imediately or cover and refrigerate.
- cooking time does not include refrgeration time.