Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This classic recipe represents pulled pork Western North Carolina style. Central and Eastern North Carolina style pork uses all of the pig which gets chopped together and served. This recipe requires a smoker and an overnight brine period. It is recommended that you pare this BBQ with the AKC Lexington Style BBQ Sauce - #465978.
- 2 gallons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups salt
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 (3 lb) pork, butts
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups applewood chips, soaked
- Combine 1 quart of water with the salt, soy sauce, honey, molasses and sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then remove from the heat and let cool. Stir in the remaining water.
- Pierce the meat with a boning knife in several places, then add the meat to the brine. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the meat from the brine, coat lightly with salt and pepper, and arrange them in a smoker. Load 2 boxes filled with applewood chips into the smoker.
- Set the smoker at 250 degrees F and smoke for 8 hours. Remove from the smoker to a cutting board and shred when cool enough to handle.
- Arrange on a serving platter and serve with your choice of BBQ sauce.