Recipe by Member #610488
Recipes for macaroni salad started appearing in the early 20th century. The famous restaurant, Delmonico's, offered a version heavy with mustard on it's menu as early as 1901. Now for most Americans, it is a mayonnaise dressed side dish, popular for picnics.
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated (optional)
- 1⁄4 onion, diced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons pickle relish
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Add macaroni to 2 qts boiling, lightly salted water. Boil for 6-8 minutes, until al dente. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again.
- Combine the mayonnaise, oil and vinegar. Pour over the macaroni.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Cover and refrigerate minimum of 1 hour. Serve cold.