Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
In Lexington, North Carolina, coleslaw is made with a spicy ketchup-based dressing. Goes great with Lexington Style BBQ (http://www.food.com/recipe/american-kitchen-classic-lexington-style-bbq-sauce-465978).
- 2⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons mild hot sauce
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 medium head cabbage, cored and finely chopped
- In a large bowl, whisk together ketchup, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, salt, and pepper; add cabbage and toss to combine. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for 20 minutes. Chill.
I saw this on a travel channel show and wanted to try it. I love the slight spice to this, but it looked wilted more on the show, so I'll probably try another version on this site that has you heat the dressing before pouring in on the cabbage to wilt it a bit before chilling. I may keep these ingredients but try that method. My Southern style cooking mom is always making wilted salads so that might be the difference. Either way, I used Splenda and low carb ketchup, which lowered the carbs but may also have kept this slaw from breaking down like I wanted. Fantastic flavor tho. I don't care for traditional slaw, but the flavor of this was different in a good way.
Thanks for posting this! I just saw a show where this dish was served and I was interested. Sounds REAL sweet. Not my cup of tea but my DH would love it. Anxious to try it! :)