1 hr 40 mins
Member #610488's Note:
A thoroughly modern version of a traditional sponge cake, this lemon flavored creation is perfect for entertaining or special occasions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
CAKE AND SYRUP
- 236.64 ml unsalted butter, softened (plus more for pans)
- 591.47 ml cake flour, sifted (plus more for pans)
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 118.29 ml milk
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 414.03 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 78.07 ml fresh lemon juice
- 1Premake the lemon curd - Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, zest, and salt in a 4-qt. saucepan. Add yolks, and whisk until smooth; stir in juice.
- 2Stirring often, bring to a boil over medium heat; cook, stirring constantly, until very thick, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat, let cool, and transfer to a bowl; chill the lemon curd.
- 3When ready to bake - Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 4Butter and flour two 9″ cake pans, and set aside.
- 5Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Whisk together milk and vanilla in a bowl; set aside.
- 6In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, cream butter, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and zest on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7On low speed, alternately add dry ingredients in 3 batches and wet ingredients in 2 batches. Increase speed to high and beat until batter is smooth, about 5 seconds.
- 8Divide batter between prepared pans, and smooth top with a rubber spatula; drop pans lightly on a counter to expel any large air bubbles.
- 9Bake cakes until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cakes cool for 20 minutes in pans; invert onto wire racks, and let cool.
- 10Using a serrated knife, halve each cake horizontally to produce four layers; set aside.
- 11Bring remaining sugar and juice to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat, and set syrup aside.
- 12In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat butter and 1/4 of the chilled lemon curd on medium-high speed until fluffy and smooth, about 1 minute. Add half the remaining curd, beating until smooth, and then add remaining curd and vanilla. Increase speed to high; beat frosting until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- 13When ready to assemble - Place one cake layer on a cake stand, drizzle with 2 tablespoons syrup, and spread with 3/4 cup frosting; top with another cake, drizzle with 2 tablespoons syrup, and spread with 3/4 cup frosting.
- 14Place another cake over the frosting, drizzle with 2 tablespoons syrup, and spread with 3/4 cup frosting; top with remaining cake, and drizzle with remaining syrup.
- 15Cover top and sides with remaining frosting; chill cake to firm frosting. Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for American Kitchen Classic Lemon Cake
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 892.0
- Calories from Fat 475
- Total Fat 52.8 g
- Saturated Fat 31.5 g
- Cholesterol 364.1 mg
- Sodium 489.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 66.2 g
- Protein 8.8 g