Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This Italian style pot roast takes the traditional Yankee Pot Roast a step further by adding balsamic vinegar to the seasonings and instead of braising the roast before slow cooking, coats it in a tomato sauce which helps to add moisture and flavor to a cut of meat that can be dry and flavorless. The slow roasting breaks down the connective tissue in the roast and makes it easy to cut using a fork.
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef chuck roast
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb carrot, cut on an angle into thick pieces
- 1 lb potato, cubed (yellow, red, white and purple potatoes, your choice)
- 8 ounces small mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen pearl onions
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- 1 sprig rosemary
- In a 5- to 6-qt slow cooker, stir together the tomato paste, vinegar and flour until blended. Season the beef generously on all sides with salt and pepper, then add to the slow cooker. Coat all sides of the roast in the sauce. Scatter the vegetables and the rosemary around the meat. Season generously with salt and pepper. Cook on low heat until the meat is tender, about 8 hours.
- Discard the rosemary. Transfer the meat to a cutting board and thinly slice. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to a platter along with the sliced roast. Transfer the cooking juices to a saucepan and reduce slightly to make a sauce. Optional idea is to serve roast, vegetables and sauce over cooked egg noodles.