1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This traditional butter cake has the audacity of having a caramel icing poured over it to create a wonderful taste sensation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.64 ml unsalted butter, softened (plus more for pans)
- 709.77 ml cake flour, sifted (plus more for pans)
- 12.32 ml baking powder
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 236.59 ml milk
- 9.85 ml vanilla extract
- 354.88 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter and flour three 9″ cake pans, and set aside.
- 3Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; set aside. Whisk together milk and vanilla in a bowl; set aside.
- 4In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, cream butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 5On low speed, alternately add dry ingredients in 3 batches and wet ingredients in 2 batches. Increase speed to high and beat until batter is smooth, about 5 seconds.
- 6Divide batter among prepared pans, and smooth top with a rubber spatula; drop pans lightly on a counter to expel any large air bubbles.
- 7Bake cakes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cakes cool for 20 minutes in pans; invert onto wire racks, and let cool.
- 8When ready to frost - Whisk together 3 cups sugar, butter, milk, and egg in a 6-qt. copper saucepan or Dutch oven; set aside.
- 9Heat remaining sugar in a small skillet over high heat, and cook, swirling pan, until sugar melts into an amber caramel, about 2 minutes.
- 10Immediately pour caramel into milk mixture, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; attach a candy thermometer to side of pan, and cook, stirring bottom constantly with a wooden spoon, until thermometer reads 232°, about 40 minutes.
- 11Remove from heat and immediately stir in vanilla and baking soda; let sit for 1 minute.
- 12Using a hand mixer, beat caramel mixture on medium-low speed until the consistency of loose pudding, about 1 minute.
- 13Immediately place one cake on a cake stand and pour over 1/2 cup caramel icing; top with second cake and pour over 1/2 cup icing. Top with third cake and pour remaining icing around the top edge of cake and then over the center. Quickly spread icing over sides of cake; let icing cool completely before serving. Store at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for American Kitchen Classic Caramel Cake
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 991.6
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 206.5 mg
- Sodium 535.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 142.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 100.2 g
- Protein 13.4 g