1/6 Photos of American Kitchen Classic Basic Thai Curry
Member #610488's Note:
Thai curries are brilliant combinations of curry paste, coconut milk, vegetables, and meat, seafood or tofu, punctuated by intoxicating fresh herbs. The flavors are exotic, but they're surprisingly quick to cook (15 minutes maximum) with a nearly identical technique, so they're easy to customize to your own taste with ingredients found in most supermarkets. Have fun mixing and matching to your favorite style of curry.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Curry Base (choose one curry paste)
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1/4 cup red curry paste or 1/4 cup green curry paste or 1/4 cup yellow curry paste or 1/4 cup panang curry paste
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth or 1 cup vegetable broth
Aromatics (choose up to three)
- 6 whole fresh lime leaves (fresh or thawed)
- 1 lime, zest of
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger or 1/2 inch fresh galangal, sliced thinly
- 3 stalks lemongrass (trim off spiky top and the base, remove discard outer layers, bruise stalks lightly crushing with si)
Protein (choose up to 3 totaling 1 lb)
- 1 lb chicken, cut into 1/4 inch bite-size strips (boneless thighs or legs) or 1 lb pork, cut into 1/4 inch bite-size slices (shoulder, leg or tenderloin) or 1 lb beef, cut into 1/4 inch bite-size strips (flank steak, strip steak or sirloin) or 1 lb large shrimp, peeled deveined or 1 lb tofu, drained cut into bite-size pieces (extra-firm) or 1 lb scallops or 1 lb firm white fish, cut into bite-size pieces (sea bass or halibut) or 1 lb squid, tubes cut into 1/2 inch rings tentacles cut into bite-size pieces
Vegetables and Fruit I (choose 2-4 totaling 3 cups)
- 3 cups carrots, sliced 1/8 inch thick on an angle or 3 cups onions, sliced 1/2 inch thick or 3 cups Japanese eggplants or 3 cups green beans or 3 cups chinese long beans, cut into bite-size pieces or 3 cups kabocha squash, cut into 1/4 inch bite-size slices or 3 cups asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces or 3 cups mushrooms, stemmed cut into slices or 3 cups fresh baby corn, cut into bite-size pieces
Vegatables and Fruit II
- 3 cups cabbage, cut into 1 inch wide bite-size strips or 3 cups bell peppers, cut into bite-size strips (red, orange or yellow) or 3 cups sugar snap peas, strings removed or 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved or 3 cups bamboo shoots, cut into bite-size strips or 3 cups snow peas, strings removed halved or 3 cups pineapple, cut into bite-size pieces or 3 cups bok choy, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar or 2 tablespoons light palm sugar, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon Thai fish sauce or 1 teaspoon vegan fish sauce, more as needed
Stir-in (choose one)
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaf, whole (Italian or Thai)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime leaves, sliced (fresh or thawed)
- 1Read the method from start to finish and then choose and prep your ingredients.
- 2Curry Base: Shake the can of coconut milk or stir it well (this creates a consistent thickness, since the fat often solidifies at the top). In a 3-4 qt saucepan or wok over medium heat, simmer 1/2 cup of coconut milk, stirring occasionally until reduced by half (3-5 minutes). It will get very thick and shiny and may or may not separate-either is fine.
- 3Add your choice of curry paste, whisk well and cook, continuing to whisk, for 1 minute. Whisk in the broth and the remaining coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- 4Aromatics/Simmer: Add your choice of aromatics, proteins, vegetables and fruits as well as the brown sugar and fish sauces to the simmering sauce. Be aware that some ingredients take longer than others to cook. Add the ingredients in stages, as listed in the next step.
- 5When the aromatics are added, also add your choices of chicken, pork, carrots, onions, eggplant, green beans, Chinese long beans and Kabocha squash.
- 6Two minutes later, add your choices of beef, large shrimp, tofu, asparagus, mushrooms, baby corn, green papaya, cabbage, bell peppers, and sugar snap peas.
- 7One minute later, add your choices of scallops and firm white fish.
- 8One minute later, add your choice of squid, cherry tomatoes, bamboo shoots, snow peas, pineapple and bok choy.
- 9Cook for one to two minutes more and check for doneness. The meat, chicken or seafood should be cooked through and the vegetables should be tender-crisp.
- 10Remove the curry from the heat and season to taste with the brown sugar and fish sauce. Add a stir-in of your choice. Transfer to a serving bowl or serve right from the pot.
- 11Remove the aromatics before serving or tell the guests to eat around them. Serve with your choice of garnishes. The curry can be eaten as is or served with hot cooked rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for American Kitchen Classic Basic Thai Curry
Serving Size: 1 (681 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 704.5
- Calories from Fat 312
- Total Fat 34.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.0 g
- Cholesterol 85.0 mg
- Sodium 330.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 66.4 g
- Protein 25.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red curry paste
fresh lime leaves
limes, zest of
fresh lime leaves