Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
When we were in Florida, we had the most amazing key lime pie I have had ever had at a restaurant, we had to ask for the recipe. So here it is.
- You will need a loose-based flan tin with a diameter of 9-inches, 1-inch deep and a solid baking sheet.
- pre-heat oven to 180°.
- Begin by placing the butter in a pan over the lowest heat to melt.
- Crush the digestive biscuits.
- Add to a separate bowl and mix in the grape nuts.
- Then add the melted butter and mix well.
- Place mixture in your flan tin and using your hands, press it down evenly and firmly all over the base and up the sides of the tin.
- Place it on the baking sheet and bake on the centre shelf of the oven 10-12 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, place the egg yolks and lime zest in a bowl.
- Using a electric mixer, whisk them for about 2 minutes or until the egg has thickened.
- Add the condensed milk and whisk for another 4 minutes.
- Finally add the lime juice and give it another quick mix.
- Pour the whole lot on to the baked crust and return it to the oven for another 20 minutes or until it feels just set when you lightly press the centre with your litle finger.
- Remove from oven and when it's completely cold, cover with clingfilm and chill until needed.
- Serve cut in slices with cream fraiche and a twist of lime for decoration.