Recipe by kittycatmom
There is a local restaurant in Sioux Falls that has a similar soup on the menu. I decided to try to make it at home. this is what I came up with! I hope you enjoy it! **As with any recipe, this is a blueprint. The final design belongs to you!
Top Review by lauralie41
Wonderful soup, I love it! I used dried minced onion, green beans instead of peas, and didnt have beef consomme so used two cans of Campbells french onion soup and one can of beef broth. Threw in 2 bay leaves and did not add the salt. Simmered on low for 3 hours and the house smelled so good! Hearty bowl of soup with great flavor. Thank you sweetie for sharing this one with us! Made and reviewed for KK's Chef's Pick Tag game.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin, very lean
- 3 celery ribs, chopped into 1-in chunks
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-in chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced (use more or less per your taste)
- 8 ounces frozen baby peas
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in chunks
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 (10 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper (I don't use the salt, and use about 2 teaspoons of pepper)
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- shell macaroni (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef with onion and garlic; drain any fat.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except Parmesan cheese,wine,and pasta and simmer for 3 hours or more.
- 1 hour before serving add uncooked pasta
- 1/2 an hour before serving add red wine.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.