There is a local restaurant in Sioux Falls that has a similar soup on the menu. I decided to try to make it at home. this is what I came up with! I hope you enjoy it! **As with any recipe, this is a blueprint. The final design belongs to you!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin, very lean
- 3 celery ribs, chopped into 1-in chunks
- 3 -4 carrots, peeled and chopped into 1-in chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced (use more or less per your taste)
- 8 ounces frozen baby peas
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-in chunks
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 3 (10 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper (I don't use the salt, and use about 2 teaspoons of pepper)
- 1 -2 bay leaf
- shell macaroni (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pot, brown the ground beef with onion and garlic; drain any fat.
- Add in all remaining ingredients except Parmesan cheese,wine,and pasta and simmer for 3 hours or more.
- 1 hour before serving add uncooked pasta
- 1/2 an hour before serving add red wine.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.
Wonderful soup, I love it! I used dried minced onion, green beans instead of peas, and didnt have beef consomme so used two cans of Campbells french onion soup and one can of beef broth. Threw in 2 bay leaves and did not add the salt. Simmered on low for 3 hours and the house smelled so good! Hearty bowl of soup with great flavor. Thank you sweetie for sharing this one with us! Made and reviewed for KK's Chef's Pick Tag game.
This is very good soup!!! I made a double batch on Sat. so that I could have something ready to heat up over the weekend, and during the week. I added some corn (personal preference)and I did add some salt). I think it's a great, brothy soup. My hubby doesn't like soups that are anywhere near thick, so this was right up our alley! Thanks so much Debi, for a keeper! Made this for Chef's Pick at KK forum.
Great flavor, we added the macaroni and red pepper flakes and thought the taste was out of this world. Made for holiday tag. Sorry no pic.