Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
A classic casserole, perfect for the winter. The garnishes make it special, so use really good quality sour cream and extra-sharp cheddar. Adapted from a recipe by Tracy Schneider at Al Dente. http://bit.ly/9cybWe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell peppers or 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with their juice
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese, grated
- scallions or chives, chopped
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil and butter over medium heat until butter is melted and oil is shimmering. Add onion, bell pepper, salt and pepper and sweat until vegetables are soft, 8-10 minutes.
- Add ground beef and spices and saute until no pink remains, 5-6 minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, sugar and cinnamon. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 1 hour or until well-thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions, leaving it slightly underdone. When done, stir macaroni into sauce. Stir well, adjust salt and pepper to taste, and let cook 5-10 minutes until flavors meld.
- Serve topped with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped scallions.