Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this from my local paper. Although it's called American Chop Suey it's nothing Asian!! It sounded so good that i had to add it hey but i haven't made it yet, so tell me what it's like! i don't eat bacon or beef and I'm allergic to peppers so i just omitted and changed some stuff.
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces (i omitted)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, cored and diced (i omitted as well)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 lb lean ground beef (i used turkey or chicken)
- 398 ml diced tomatoes
- 398 ml tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 cups whole wheat elbow macaroni
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- (In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon for about 2 minutes or until it renders enough fat to lightly coat pan.) or just use vegetable oil to coat pan.
- Add garlic, onion, (bell pepper), and Italian seasoning and cook until onion just begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to high. Add beef(or ground chicken) and saute, breaking up with a wooden spoon , until lightly browned , about 5 minutes.
- Mix in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, soy sauce and macaroni.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender, about 14 minutes.
- Season to taste with Salt and Pepper and enjoy!
Delicious. Follow exactly but can definitely use regular pasta. Delicious with shredded parmesan. Family favorite. I clipped this years ago from the paper.