Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Always a favorite in our house.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (or any small pasta, such as penne rigate)
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (if using whole canned tomatoes just be sure to crush them, and stewed tomatoes work well too)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook elbow macaroni as directed on package. Drain.
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook hamburg, breaking up as it cooks, till browned.
- Saute' onions and add to hamburg.
- Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook until all ingredients are combined and hot.
- Put elbows into a large serving bowl and pour hamburg/tomato mixture over them. Mix well and serve with crusty Italian bread.
- NOTE: Optional ingredients: green peppers, chopped.