1/1 Photo of American Chop Suey (Aka - Escalloped Macaroni)
Always a favorite in our house.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (or any small pasta, such as penne rigate)
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (if using whole canned tomatoes just be sure to crush them, and stewed tomatoes work well too)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1Cook elbow macaroni as directed on package. Drain.
- 2In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook hamburg, breaking up as it cooks, till browned.
- 3Saute' onions and add to hamburg.
- 4Add remaining ingredients and continue to cook until all ingredients are combined and hot.
- 5Put elbows into a large serving bowl and pour hamburg/tomato mixture over them. Mix well and serve with crusty Italian bread.
- 6NOTE: Optional ingredients: green peppers, chopped.
Browse Our Top Elbow Macaroni Recipes
Nutritional Facts for American Chop Suey (Aka - Escalloped Macaroni)
Serving Size: 1 (261 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.0
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 50.7 mg
- Sodium 699.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 11.8 g
- Protein 27.6 g