Recipe by ChefZaar #304868
This recipe was my grandmother's and it has such amazing flavor. The key to flavor is cooking it on medium low heat for about 3 hours. You want the bacon to melt in your mouth. Preparation is quick and easy. You can start this recipe around 1:00 in the afternoon and dinner is on the table at 5:00
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb colonial meaty bacon, 1/2 inch slices (hint ( use scissors while bacon is cold)
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) canpastene crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can water
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium pot (large pot if you double the recipe)add the onion and cook until translucent.
- Add the bacon and cook until the bacon is slightly browned, DO NOT DRAIN, that is where the flavor comes from.
- Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes along with one equal can of water and mix very well gently.
- Allow to come to a slight boil then turn heat down to medium low.
- Cook for 3 hours, stirring every 20 to 30 minutes uncovered.