Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is for the Strawberry Swap, 2005
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 3 pints strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Grease a 9x13" baking dish and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda,
- cream of tartar and salt in a medium bowl
- and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and 3/4 cup of the sugaruntil very light then beat in the egg.
- Add the flour to the butter mixture.
- alternately with the buttermilk,
- beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Blend to incorporate wet and dry ingredients.
- Do not over-mix.
- Arrange the fruit in the baking dish.
- Scatter the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar over the fruit.
- Spoon the batter over the fruit.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minute until the crust is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the top comes out clean.
- Serve warm.