1/2 Photos of American Beautyberry Jelly With Shiso
1 hr 15 mins
Beautyberries well deserve their name with their iridescent-purple fruit arriving early Autumn. Pretty purple berries. This is a bland sweet jelly on it's own. But with the addition of shiso giving both more color and a very light herbal taste. Native American's used root and leaf tea in sweat baths for rheumatism, fevers, and malaria. Root tea used for dysentery, stomach aches. Root and berry tea used for colic. Pretty to be served at a Bridal Shower Brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place shiso leaves in pot pour enough water to cover bring to boil and remove from heat. Once cooled place in refrigerator overnight.
- 2Strain the liquid from the leaves. remove leave to a mulch pile.
- 3Boil berries in the steeped liquid adding 4 cups water for 20 minutes and strain.
- 4Mix pectin with 1/4 cup of the sugar.
- 5Measure 5 cups of the infusion place back into the pot add pectin/sugar mixture and lemon juice bring to a rolling boil stirring to dissolve the pectin.
- 6Add remaining sugar and butter.
- 7Stir and boil hard for 1 1/2 minutes, or until mixture sheets from a wooden spoon, skim.
- 8Remove from burner and skim off foam.
- 9Place one optional shiso leaf in each jar.
- 10Pour jelly into sterilized jars, cap and seal.
- 11Process in boiling bath 10 minutes.
- 12Remove the jars from the hot water without tilting and set aside to cool.
- 13Leave for 12 hours then check the seals on the jars by pressing on the centers of the lids. If the lids do not spring back, they are vacuum sealed and the jelly can be stored at room temperature.
- 14Another way to check is to remove the ring and try to lift the lid.
- 15If it lifts up, it wasn't sealed properly.
- 16If the lid flexes, there is no seal, so store the jar in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Jellies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jellies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for American Beautyberry Jelly With Shiso
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 65.4
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 16.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: