Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is the most authentic version of Brunswick stew I have had the pleasure of making and tasting!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb country-style pork ribs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 roasted chicken, deboned and shredded
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 0.5 (10 fluid ounce) bottle steak sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- Heat the vegetable oil in skillet over medium heat, and brown the ribs on all sides. Transfer to a slow cooker. Place onion in the skillet, cook until tender, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker, and mix in tomatoes, ketchup, steak sauce, cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon, chicken bouillon, and pepper.
- Cover, and cook 6 hours on HIGH. Remove ribs, discard bones, and shred. Return meat to slow cooker. Mix in corn and lima beans, cover, and continue cooking 2 hours on HIGH.
I made this years ago and lost the recipe. I am so glad I saved it! It is excellent! I hold off on the hot sauce and pepper and it is still very tasty!