Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
Originally printed in 1796, Amelia Simmons' supplied the first recorded cookie recipe in Amercica. The recipe is as it originally appeared other than conversions into more modern measurements.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Cream butter until soft; add sugar gradually and cream until fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt; add coriander.
- Combine milk and sour cream.
- Add the dry mixture to the butter-sugar mixture alternately with the milk, beating after each addition.
- Pinch off pieces about the size of a hazlenut. Roll in balls, place about 2 1/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Flatten in circles (using the bottom of a glass dipped on flour). Bake about 12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Cookies may be sprinkled with cinnamon, sugar, chopped nuts, or colored sugar before baking.