Originally printed in 1796, Amelia Simmons' supplied the first recorded cookie recipe in Amercica. The recipe is as it originally appeared other than conversions into more modern measurements.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375.
- 2Cream butter until soft; add sugar gradually and cream until fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- 3Sift flour, baking powder and salt; add coriander.
- 4Combine milk and sour cream.
- 5Add the dry mixture to the butter-sugar mixture alternately with the milk, beating after each addition.
- 6Pinch off pieces about the size of a hazlenut. Roll in balls, place about 2 1/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Flatten in circles (using the bottom of a glass dipped on flour). Bake about 12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Cookies may be sprinkled with cinnamon, sugar, chopped nuts, or colored sugar before baking.
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amelia's Earliest American Cookie
Serving Size: 1 (389 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1527.3
- Calories from Fat 498
- Total Fat 55.3 g
- Saturated Fat 34.1 g
- Cholesterol 144.0 mg
- Sodium 919.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 247.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 151.4 g
- Protein 14.7 g