Recipe by KerryAnn
Ambrosia Salad with Acini De Pepe (small pasta dots) is a wonderful cold fruity sweet dish that is so good. If you're looking for that SPECIAL "dish to pass" TRY this recipe ! Unfortunately I got the recipe from a gathering after a funeral. I've made it many times and tried to perfect it to taste. The original recipe had 1/2 cup shredded coconut (this can be added if you desire) but I prefer to leave it out. I hope you enjoy this as much as we do !!!! (For the best results make sure to follow directions exactly and allow to refrigerate overnight) For Holidays (Halloween / St. Patrick's Day Green food coloring can be used or Valentines Day use more red food coloring)
- 1 cup acini di pepe pasta
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges (or 1 large can)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- 2 (8 ounce) containers whipped topping (thawed not frozen)
- 8 drops red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- For the absolute BEST Summer Ambrosia Salad Please follow directions exactly.
- Boil the 1 cup of Acini De Pepe according to pasta box instructions.
- While the pasta is cooking, Add drained crushed pineapple, drained mandarin oranges, sour cream, 1 tub of whipped topping and 8 drops of red food coloring to a large container (I use a large plastic tub with lid).
- On the top of all the other ingredients add 3/4 of the bag of mini-marshmallows (DO NOT STIR YET).
- When pasta is done cooking drain completely (DO NOT COOL).
- Pour drained pasta on top of the mini-marshmallows in your container.
- Allow to sit or about 1 minute.
- This allows the marshmallows to melt a bit.
- Stir until mixed well (it will be very soupy).
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning (the ingredients will be firm) add the second tub of whipped topping and the rest of the mini-marshmallows.
- Stir well.
- Keep refrigerated until serving.
- Your guests will RAVE over this dish.
- I bring it to every summer party and people always look forward to having it!