Recipe by sue_hotsprings2000
Orange segments and apricot preserves in a crust of chopped pecans and sweetened flaked coconut. I found this recipe in McCalls No Time to Cook, copyright 1985. It does not provide any nutritional info. I plan to make this pie tonight. Will let everyone know how it turns out. I am concerned about sugar and fat content
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1 cup canned sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup softened butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 4 large navel oranges
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups orange juice
- 2⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Put pecans, coconut, 1/4 cup sugar and butter in small bowl and.
- toss with 2 forks until all ingredients are thoroughly combined and well.
- moistened with butter.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pecan-coconut mixture. Press remainder in 9" pie.
- plate, pressing evenly over the bottom and up the sides, forming a rim.
- Bake for 20 minutes in preheated 375F or until crust is lightly toasted.
- Remove crust from oven and cool on wire rack.
- Peel and remove white membrane from the oranges.
- Cut oranges crosswise in 1/4" slices and cut slices in half. There.
- should be about 4 cups of oranges.
- Put sugar and cornstarch in 2 qt saucepan. Mix well with wooden.
- Add orange juice, apricot preserves and vanilla extract. Bring to a boil.
- over med high, stirring constantly. Cook for a few minutes until thickened.
- When the filling becomes translucent it is done. Remove from heat.
- and set aside to cool.
- Layer orange slices in baked crust and poor cooled filling over top.
- Sprinkle reserved pecan-coconut crust mixture around edge of pie.
- Refrigerate pie overnight or at least 4 hours.
- To serve: decorate edges of pie with more coconut if desired and cut.
- into wedges.