Recipe by Tatia #2
This is a no-bake, semi-frozen pie. The only "cooking" required is toasting the coconut. I just took it to a family reunion 4th of July picnic where there was tons of food - there was nothing left to take home except the pie server. I did not use the "extra serving size" pie crust and there was plenty of filling for 2 regular size pies - just add a little extra whipped topping before serving. Also, next time I make this recipe, I think I will cut each mandarin orange in half. I think it will distribute more evenly in the pie and won't be such a large frozen bite. I did leave out the maraschino cherries - 'cause my honey hates them. I crumbled up the pecan halves on top instead of leaving them whole.
Top Review by Kit_Kat
This is a definite keeper and I will be making it again as a summer dessert. When I was young my mom loved to make Ambrosia salad so I shared this with her and she was "over the moon for it. The one thing I will add in the future is a little (maybe a 1/4 cup?? I will have to play with it) sour cream with the cream cheese, just to give it a little more depth to the flavor and make it even more like the salad of my youth. Thanks for sharing Tatia!!
- 1 (11 ounce) can mandarin oranges in light syrup
- 1 (8 1/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple in syrup
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1 (9 ounce) graham cracker crust (extra serving size)
- maraschino cherries or pecan halves or additional toasted coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain oranges and pineapple, reserving 2 tablespoons pineapple syrup.
- Gently press oranges and pineapple between paper towels to remove.
- excess moisture.
- Beat cream cheese mixture at med-high speed of an electric mixer until.
- creamy. Gradually add reserved pineapple syrup and sweetened condensed.
- milk, beating until smooth. Fold in 1 1/2 cups whipped topping. Gently.
- fold in orange-pineapple mixture and coconut. Spoon filling into.
- crust. Cover; freeze until firm.
- Let pie stand at room temperature 20 minutes before serving. Dollop.
- remaining 1 cup whipped topping on top of pie. Garnish, if desired.