Recipe by Laurita
Ambrosia is a food of the Gods - it's a heavenly treat! I love being able to prepare it ahead of time because the cooking time is quick. The very best crab cakes have a lot of wonderful crabmeat and very little else. It takes you to paradise by way of Key West!
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, check for shells
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chives, shaved fine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dried red pepper flakes, minced fine
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon bottled horseradish
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Try not to break lumps but make sure there are no shell fragments.
- Combine egg, mustard, mayo, chives, red pepper, Old Bay in bowl and mix well Place crab meat in separate bowl adding bread crumbs and then mayo mixture, toss gently, be careful not to overmix.
- Let flavors blend 1/2 hour in the refrigerator.
- Portion and form to a patty shape 1/2 to 1" thick.
- Cover with plastic and chill until ready to cook.
- Saute in very hot pan with whole butter, when first side is browned, turn over and put in 350 degree oven for five minutes.
- Take out and put on paper towel to absorb excess butter.
- Enjoy with the Louis sauce or your favorite seafood sauce and lemon wedges.
- Another sauce that is great is a hollandaise with roasted red peppers blended altogether- it's a beautiful color and an excellent taste drizzled or served on the side.