- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably dutch processed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons corn oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl,whisk together oil, vanilla and vinegar with 1 cup cold water.
- Whisk in dry ingredients, blending until completely free of lumps.
- Pour into a greased 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until top springs back when pressed gently.
- Cool before removing from pan and dusting with confectioners' sugar.