Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 hrs
This is the juciest, best flavored roasted chicken I have ever made, or ever eaten! I have been experiementing, and It has turned out with the exact same wonderful results 3 times in a row now.. so I'm confident that anyone can make this with the same results. Never again will I purchase a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken! It's so easy too!
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, quartered and slightly smashed
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 teaspoon McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning
- Night before:
- Rinse chicken and pat dry.
- Mix salts, garlic powder and black pepper together.
- Liberally rub outside of chicken with salt mixture, then put the remaining salt mixture inside of the chicken cavity. Don't be afraid of the salt! Remember, we want the bird seasoned all the way through! I promise that it wont be salty. You may even want to use extra salt in the cavity, especially if you are using kosher salt.
- Put into a plastic bag and chill in fridge overnight. The longer the better.
- Day Of:.
- Preheat oven to 350 f.
- Put butter, lemon and garlic into cavity. You can also use herbs, onion etc.
- Pat outside of chicken dry, then rub the chicken with olive oil.
- Sprinkle Montreal steak seasoning on all sides. (Makes it really pretty when done).
- Place chicken in a roaster with a rack breast side up.
- Bake uncovered for approx 20 min per pound, or until thermometer in thickest part of thigh is between 175 to 180 degrees f.
- DO NOT OVERCOOK!
- Remove bird from oven and cover with foil. Allow to rest for at least 20 minutes, the longer the rest time, the jucier the chicken gets, so do not skip this step! It wont be juicy if it doesn't rest!
I only got to marinate this for 3 hours, but it still had really good flavor. In fact, I left the bird to cool for a bit so that I could debone it and ran a few errands. When I came back, I no longer needed to debone it because my husband and children had devoured the entire thing!!! How's that for 5 stars?
This recipe absolutely WOWWED me. I followed the directions exactly and it turned out so juicy and full of flavour. I loved the touch of lemon too. I saved all the juices and the bones to make a great soup. This goes in the file of "favourites". Thank you so much for posting this.
Right on the money! Juicy and flavorful, just like you said. I served this at at a dinner party and everyone was at awe. Thank you!