Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Due to health concerns about raw eggs, I've forgone eggnog for a number of years ... until I came across this recipe. The mixture is cooked so no danger from raw eggs. It's delicious! I usually keep some separate without rum for either kids or those who prefer no alcohol.
- 4 cups milk
- 5 whole cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups light rum
- 4 cups light cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine milk, cloves, 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and cinnamon in a saucepan. Heat over lowest setting for 12 minutes. Slowly bring milk mixture to boil.
- In a large bowl combine egg yolks and sugar. Whisk together until fluffy. Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs. Pour mixture back into saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes, or until slightly thickened. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Strain to remove cloves and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, cream, 2 teaspoons vanilla and nutmeg. Refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Sprinkle more nutmeg on individual servings, if desired.
Delicious. I made it without the rum because of the kids so it was a bit on the strong, sweet side -- possibly I should have put in extra milk to dilute it down a bit. But DH likes it strong and sweet so he enjoyed it. The only thing I might change another time is to use a bit of cinnamon stick because the ground cinnamon gave it aslightly muddy look that didn't appeal to me.