Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
I found the basis for this frosting through another members post. (Amazing Red Velvet Cake With Frosting) I tweaked it to make it what I wanted that day, but it is so easily changed to make the smoothest, creamiest, buttery frosting I have ever had! And its EASY!!!! The first time I made it I added a tsp of coconut extract and after it was all mixed up I folded in a 1/2 cup of flaked coconut. It was a HIT!!! You won't regret trying this recipe!
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon extract, of your choice
- In a small sauce pan cook together your milk and flour, stirring constantly until thick.
- Let cool, then add vanilla (and other flavors) and mix well.
- In a seperate bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then gradually add the flour/milk mix.
- Whip until fluffy.
This is one of the best frostings I have ever had. I use it with the Waldorf Astoria Red Cake and top it with roasted chopped pecans! Yummy! Men like this a lot too because it isn't too sweet.