This lasagna is low in fat and is much better for you than most lasagna recipes. This recipe started with the back of a lasagna noodle package recipe, but has been altered to a vegetarian or vegan recipe along with other alterations. Many of our friends (most of them not vegetarian or vegan!) request this dish from my husband for get-togethers or parties. It’s always gone in minutes. Many times we use fresh Asia Eggplant in place of spinach as it is in abundance here in Asia and in our opinion tastes better.
- 12 lasagna noodles (estimate)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (19 ounce) canof worthington veggie burgers (you can also use another vegemeat like crumblers or gluten)
- 1 (26 ounce) can spaghetti sauce (I like Hunt's Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lb firm tofu
- 1 (300 g) package frozen chopped spinach (or you can substitute fresh asia eggplant our personal favorite, or another type of eggplant)
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or 3⁄4 cup soy cheese
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cook lasagna noodles according to the package directions.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add vegeburger or gluten.
- Stir in speggetti sauce and parsley; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine tofu and spinach and yeast flakes (if using eggplant instead, don’t combine with tofu. Instead slice eggplant into thin pieces and set aside).
- Put a thin layer of sauce and vegemeat on the bottom of a Large baking dish (our baking dish was bought in Asia and doesn’t have the measurements listed, but it’s big).
- Place on layer of (3-4) noodles (slightly overlapped) on top of the sauce. Add another layer of sauce (can add a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and now is when you would add some sliced eggplant if you are using it).
- Repeat the last step until you get to the middle layer (usually there are 3-5 layers total depending on the depth of your pan).
- In the middle layer the tofu & spinach (or layer the tofu and then add another layer of eggplant on top). Then continue with the previous layering of sauce & vegemeat and noodles.
- The top layer should be covered in sauce with the Mozzarella or Soy Cheese sprinkled on top.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees F or 180 degrees Celsius.