Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe started out life as vegetarian chili, hence the non-traditional ingredients. The hominy and mushrooms were originally meant to replace the meat and they give this chili a wonderful texture. The recipe as written is medium spicy. Feel free to spice it up or down.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground turkey (I use ground turkey breast)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups cremini mushrooms, fresh chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
- 1 (3 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (weird, but important!)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup wine (I use red)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Heat oil, and saute the onions, garlic, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, celery,and carrots in a Dutch oven.
- Saute' until onions begin to soften, then add turkey and saute' until the turkey looses it's pink color, about 10 minutes.
- Add green chilis, parsley, tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, and hominy and mix well. Stir in spices, molasses, cocoa powder, wine, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce and sesame oil.
- Cover and simmer. Stir occasionally. Cook for 1 hour.