Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
I have been a vegetarian for only 2 months now and wanted to find a recipe that would make tofu taste good! After looking at many recipes I came up with this which combines what I think are the best parts of many recipes. I didn't measure the ingredients so I will give estimates here which will work but feel free to adjust to your personal taste. This really is a special recipe in my opinion that even meat lovers will enjoy.
- 350 g extra firm tofu (I buy organic)
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 24 ounces of your favourite spaghetti sauce (or homemade)
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil (for frying tofu)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (or whatever kind you like)
- parmesan cheese
- Cut tofu into 1/4 inch slices. Lay out slices between several layers of paper towels or clean tea towels. Place a cutting board or other flat surface on top with some weight on it to draw the moisture out. Press for about 30 minutes.
- Mix the soy sauce, olive oil and garlic together and place the drained tofu slices to marinate for a couple of minutes,.
- In a shallow dish combine the flour and nutritional yeast. Dip each tofu slice in the egg and then coat in the flour/yeast.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Cook tofu slices on both sides until crispy golden.
- Place a thin layer of sauce in an 8 inch square baking pan. Arrange tofu slices in the pan. Spoon remaining sauce over tofu, top with shredded mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Serve with a crisp salad or pasta.
Wow. Try this recipe to believe it. It actually tastes like Chicken Parmesan. I left the garlic in the marinade pan and added the sauce for more flavour. Next time I'll halve the flour and yeast. There was a lot of waste for the 350g of tofu, unless you did a bound breading (double dip). Kudos. This was fantastic - and I am not a vegetarian.