Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is one of the best ice cream cakes ---if you can't find Skor bars then use any toffee bar for this. This cake is perfect for a summertime birthday party, you may use all half and half cream to make the sauce, but I find that it is better with half whip cream and half and half --- this is *so* good! :)
- 1 1⁄4 cups crushed chocolate wafers
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, melted
- 2 quarts good-quality vanilla ice cream (softened JUST enough to spread, careful not to melt!)
- 8 (8 ounce) bars Skor candy bars, crushed or 8 (8 ounce) any chocolate-covered english toffee bars
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted peanuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter (no subs!)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan or a 10-inch springform pan.
- To make the cake: In a bowl, combine the wafer crumbs and melted butter.
- Press into bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and spread 1 quart of ice cream over the crumb crust.
- Sprinkle the crushed Skor bars over the ice cream, and press in slightly with a back of a spoon.
- Carefully spread remaining 1 quart of ice cream over the crushed bars.
- Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours.
- To make the Sauce: In a small saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in the brown sugar, the half and half cream and whipping cream; cook, stirring constantly over low heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add/mix in vanilla.
- TO SERVE: Remove cake from freezer and pan (if you are using a springform pan) if not just cut into squares if you are using a 13 x 9-inch pan.
- Pour the slightly cooled or cold toffee sauce over the cake.