CHILI SPICE's Note:
Hot-and-sour mixtures are popular throughout the East, especially in Thailand. This soup typically has either shrimp or chicken added, but tofu could be used instead if you prefer a meatless version.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces shrimp, whole (raw or cooked in shell)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 stalk lemongrass, stalk roughly chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, shredded
- 1 green chili pepper, seeded and chopped
- 5 cups chicken stock or 5 cups fish stock
- 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 red bird's eye chili, seeded and sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced (green onion)
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (garnish)
- 1Peel the shrimp and reserve the shells. De-vein the shrimp, cover and chill until needed.
- 2Heat the oil in a large pot and stir-fry the shrimp shell for 3-4 minutes until they turn pink. Add the lemon grass, lime leaves, chili and stock. Pare a strip of zest from the lime and add to the pot.
- 3Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- 4Strain the liquid and pour it back into the pot. Squeeze the juice from the lime and add to the pot with fish sauce and salt and pepper to taste.
- 5Return to a boil, lower the heat, add the shrimp and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- 6Add the thinly sliced chili and scallion. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazing Thai Hot & Sour Soup
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.0
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 144.6 mg
- Sodium 910.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 26.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kaffir lime leaves
red bird's eye chilies