Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a very flavourful, moist cake. I made it for my Mom's birthday since she doesn't like chocolate and the rest of the family isn't too keen on white cake. She loved it. The cake tastes even better after a day or two.
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream margarine and sugar.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add baking powder, salt and spices.
- Add milk to margarine mixture in 2 parts alternately with flour.
- Begin and end with flour.
- Spread batter into a greased 8" square pan.
- (For a 9" X 13" cake, double the recipe.) Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
- When cool, frost with your choice of frosting (I added some orange extract to vanilla buttercream).
Awesome recipe. I make several batches in loaf pans and my kids have it for after school snacks.
Good cake but it turned out very dense.
I made these last night for a cousin that is diabtic, so I used Splenda instead of sugar. They turned out great. Will make these again.