Recipe by brittmarie
This is a Swedish cake recipe; I got it from a dear friend who made it at several parties during college and always got rave reviews. Now I'm the one who gets all the credit when I make it : ) My family loves it; I play the "guess-the-secret-ingredient" game (the vinegar) and no one ever has... though they've guessed everything from peanut butter to cheese! I love it because it's relatively "healthy" (no dairy, no eggs, low-fat), while it's still amazingly moist and chocolaty and dense. (You can make it even lower fat if you use only 1/4 C oil and sub. 1/2 C applesauce).
Top Review by b.rakoczy
Did this recipe for work for something Swedish "Diversity Day" It was a winner! I used the original peppermint in the glaze and added a little vanilla to it too! Turned out awesome! Oh I also went the low fat version with applesauce so moist and delicious! I will definitely be doing this one again.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon decaf instant coffee (optional)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon milk, of choice (works with regular, soy or rice or whatever) (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract (I usually use almond, but have tried & like coconut, orig. glaze recipe calls for peppermint) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Instructions for Cake:.
- Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients together in separate bowl.
- Add wet to dry a little at a time, stirring as you add.
- Pour batter into WELL-GREASED bundt cake pan (well-greased is key--this is a sticky cake; I use Pam with great results), bake at 350 for 35-40 minute.
- Serving suggestions: with fresh whipped cream& strawberries, or drizzle with warm caramel or Kahlua, or glaze with mocha glaze (or some combo thereof!).
- Instructions for Glaze:.
- Mix dry ingredients together in bowl.
- Dissolve coffee in 1 tablespoon of milk; add extract.
- Whisk coffee liquid into dry ingredients; whisk until all blended and if needed, add 1/2 tablespoon more milk.
- USE GLAZE IMMEDIATELY OVER CAKE. It will harden quickly.