1/2 Photos of Amazing Solan Family Chocolate Cake (Aka 3-Hole Cake)
This is a Swedish cake recipe; I got it from a dear friend who made it at several parties during college and always got rave reviews. Now I'm the one who gets all the credit when I make it : ) My family loves it; I play the "guess-the-secret-ingredient" game (the vinegar) and no one ever has... though they've guessed everything from peanut butter to cheese! I love it because it's relatively "healthy" (no dairy, no eggs, low-fat), while it's still amazingly moist and chocolaty and dense. (You can make it even lower fat if you use only 1/4 C oil and sub. 1/2 C applesauce).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3/4 cup oil
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon decaf instant coffee (optional)
- 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon milk, of choice (works with regular, soy or rice or whatever) (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract (I usually use almond, but have tried & like coconut, orig. glaze recipe calls for peppermint) (optional)
- 1Instructions for Cake:.
- 2Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- 3Mix wet ingredients together in separate bowl.
- 4Add wet to dry a little at a time, stirring as you add.
- 5Pour batter into WELL-GREASED bundt cake pan (well-greased is key--this is a sticky cake; I use Pam with great results), bake at 350 for 35-40 minute.
- 6Serving suggestions: with fresh whipped cream& strawberries, or drizzle with warm caramel or Kahlua, or glaze with mocha glaze (or some combo thereof!).
- 7Instructions for Glaze:.
- 8Mix dry ingredients together in bowl.
- 9Dissolve coffee in 1 tablespoon of milk; add extract.
- 10Whisk coffee liquid into dry ingredients; whisk until all blended and if needed, add 1/2 tablespoon more milk.
- 11USE GLAZE IMMEDIATELY OVER CAKE. It will harden quickly.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazing Solan Family Chocolate Cake (Aka 3-Hole Cake)
Serving Size: 1 (132 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.9
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 406.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 33.5 g
- Protein 3.7 g