Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Need an incredibly tasty, super fast side that can even pinch hit as a vegetarian main dish? This simplified version of "makaronada voutirou" is our go-to dish when we're feeling too lazy to do a lot of cooking but still want something delicious and satisfying.
- 3 -4 ounces dry pasta (our favorite is Rusticella d'Abruzzo Cannolicchi, but regular old generic spaghetti will do)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 ounce mizithra cheese, grated (between 1/8 to 1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced (optional)
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
- Cook the pasta in well-salted water according to the instructions on the package.
- While the pasta is cooking, grate your mizythra (also spelled myzithra). Make sure you have gotten the white, rather dry, crumbly variety! Use either a microplane or the fine grating on a box grater, not a coarse grating. Set aside.
- Drain the pasta and return to the warm pan.
- Add the butter and toss until melted and the pasta is coated.
- Add the mizithra, garlic and red pepper flakes (if desired). Toss to distribute evenly throughout the pasta.
- Serve hot with World-Class Garlic Bread (see recipe).