Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the my personal favorite of all salads, and it makes a great lunch or light dinner. You don't see it much any more in restaurants since it was popular back during the 1950's, but it's so hard to top, I can't believe it's not on every menu to this day.
- 1⁄4 lb baby shrimp
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced (Instructions below for AB's perfect not-boiled hard-boiled egg.*)
- 6 -8 slices cucumbers, peeled
- 3 -4 grape tomatoes, halved
- 6 -8 black olives, pitted
- 4 spears canned asparagus (Yes, canned is actually better... fresh is too tough, even if cooked perfectly.)
- 1⁄4 cup thousand island dressing (or a much better dressing in my opinion... Louie Dressing (For Seafood Salads or Reuben Sandwiches).)
- 1⁄4 head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces (or Romaine if you prefer)
- *For the perfect hard-boiled egg, courtesy of AB: Place a steamer in a large sauce pan with a well-fitted lid. Bring about 1/4 inch of water up to boiling. Place no less than 3 and no more than 6 eggs in the steamer. Cover and steam for 12 minutes. Remove eggs from steamer and drop directly into iced water. The eggs will be firm but tender, easy to peel, and will have a solid and creamy but not dry yolk. Thanks, AB!
- Place your salad bowl in the freezer for 30 minutes before assembling the salad. All the ingredients should be well-chilled before beginning.
- Begin assembling the salad with the lettuce.
- Add the cucumber slices, tomato halves, asparagus spears, black olives, and .
- Top with shrimp. NO MENTION IN DIRECTIONS ABOUT WHAT TO DO WITH EGG, SO I ATE IT! WAS THAT RIGHT? HA HA.
- Serve dressing in a separate container so the diner can use as much dressing as they prefer.
This "mid-century" salad is one of my favorites. I had leftover lobster and used it and shrimp in the salad. The reason I didn't give this recipe 5 stars was that I didn't think the black olives added any flavor and the cucumber was kind of in the way. The sweet cherry tomatoes are perfect and you need the hard cooked egg, but next time I'm leaving out the cuke and olives, and adding some capers. The dressing, from the same cook, is absolutely 5 star!