1/1 Photo of Amazing Salsa
2 hrs 30 mins
I've always loved salsa, but it's been really hard to find the perfect recipe. I like my salsa to have a sauce to it and many veggies and just the right amount of heat. I tend to like things a bit hotter then your average person but even so, I consider this recipe to be mild for a hotter salsa, add a hotter peppers like Habaneros or if you're bold ghost peppers. It took many attempts to get this recipe right so I thought id share it with you. "I've caned salsa before, but I've never tried to can this salsa. I'm a novice canner, and I'm not sure if this recipe would keep in cans. Please msg me if you can shed some light on this."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 ounces dried chilies, new mexico, california, or similar
- 20 dried chilies, de arbol depending on how hot you like the sauce
- 8 cups boiling water
- 14 roma tomatoes, 10 peeled 4 unpeeled
- 1 1/2 onions
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 -3 jalapeno peppers
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1Clean chilies with a damp cloth, then pull of the stems and remove the seeds and veins "I keep the seeds for the chili arbol because I like it hotter".
- 2Place peppers in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- 3Roast in 350°F oven for 2 to 5 minutes or until you smell a sweet roasted aroma, checking often to avoid burning.
- 4Remove from oven and soak in the boiling water for about 30 minutes or until cool "I like to break up the chilies before I soak them".
- 5Put peppers and 2 cups of the soaking water into a blender "Add more if the sauce is too thick, it will thicken slightly after simmered".
- 6Add 10 peeled tomatoes, 1/2 onion, garlic, salt, vinegar, lime juice, sherry and brown sugar "If you do not know how to peel tomatoes check out this instructional video on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmLR5ayrJzU".
- 7Blend until smooth "Can be done in batches if the blender is too small".
- 8Pour the mixture in a medium saucepan and simmer for 30 minutes.
- 9Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- 10Dice up the remaining vegetables into cubes and add to the sauce.
- 11Chill over night.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazing Salsa
Serving Size: 1 (3355 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.2
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4699.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 4.7 g