Recipe by Tom Sullivan
This is one of the best shrimp dishes I've ever had. It was inspired by a similar dish I had at Bobby Flay's restaurant Bolo a while back. This is fantastic with a good crusty Italian bread to spread the garlic on and soak up the sauce, but you might also try it served over pasta, maybe with a splash of lemon juice.
- 2 head garlic
- 5-6 dried chilies or 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes
- 78.07 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 453.59 g large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 loaf crusty Italian bread (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Separate garlic cloves and peel them.
- Place oil, chilies and garlic in a baking dish, small enough so that the oil completely covers the bottom, but large enough that the shrimp will fit in one layer Roast the garlic covered for about 30 minutes, or until golden brown and easily mushed Add the shrimp, stir to coat with oil and roast covered for another 5 minutes or so, just until the shrimp turns translucent Serve hot with Italian bread, spreading roasted garlic on the bread and soaking up the sauce with the bread.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: To obtain maximum flavor of this dish, be sure to peel the shrimp BEFORE cooking. Five minutes is not enough time for the shrimp to absorb the flavor of the oil, garlic and chilis through the shell.