Prep 3 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here's an old Peg Bracken recipe, presented here with no changes....until you add pork chops (optional.) Obviously, this recipe is not for those on a sodium-restricted diet.
- 1 cup raw rice (not instant)
- 1 (11 ounce) can chicken gumbo soup (undiluted)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (undiluted)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- Mix the rice (I rely on plain old Uncle Ben's Converted Rice for things like this) and soups in a casserole that has a tight-fitting lid.
- Put the butter or margarine in the middle - don't stir.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Before you serve it, fluff it with a fork, stir it if you must.
- Okay -- you can make some changes. I think reducing the butter to 1/4 stick doesn't hurt. To turn this into dinner, season and brown a few pork chops in a skillet, and place the chops on top of the rice/soup/butter before you put the casserole (or foil-topped baking pan) into the oven.