Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this recipe in my Food and Wine magazine back in June 1997. The lady who created it is named Elizabeth. I have been making it this way since then. I have made it for parties and it is so liked by everyone that most people leave with the recipe. I hope you all enjoy this as much as we have. NOTE: Cook time and prep time does not include cooling times for eggs and potatoes. Don't let the amount of servings scare you, I normally reduce the amounts depending on how many people I am feeding. Just cut everything in half.
- 12 large eggs
- 7 lbs large baking potatoes, washed but not peeled
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 large onion, finely chopped (optional)
- 3 large celery ribs, cut into small pieces (optional)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- In a large saucepan, cover the eggs with warm water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Boil for 2 minutes, cover and remove from heat and let stand for 12 minutes.
- Drain the eggs and cool under running water.
- When eggs are cool, peel and refrigerate until cold.
- Put the potatoes in a large pot and add water to cover.
- Add 3 tbsps.
- salt and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook until potatoes are completely tender but not falling apart,about 25 minutes.
- Drain ad spread out on baking sheet to cool slightly.
- Peel the potatoes while they are still warm, then let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the milk,mustard, vinegar, sugar and a generous pinch of salt and pepper.
- Thinly slice the eggs and transfer to a bowl.
- Cut the potatoes into chunks.
- In a large bowl gently mix the eggs, potatoes, onions, and celery with the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with paprika and chives.
- Note: The potato salad can be refrigerated for up to 1 day.
- Remove from refrigerator 1 hour before serving.
- Also, the eggs, potatoes, and dressing can be refrigerated separately for up to 2 days.
- Bring to room temperature before assembling.
I scaled this back and used red potatoes. The evaporated milk is a nice touch and adds a nice creaminess. Thanks jb4, for posting. Roxygirl
I thought this recipe was excellent, different from the traditional yet delicious. Very easy to make. My family loved it, this one is certainly a keeper