Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is one of the best dips, the amounts listed is enough about 15-20 people but may be cut in half if desired. I have served this many times at my get togethers and everyone loves it --- this may be prepared in advance up to step#8 refrigerated and baked later --- see my Kittencal's Red Enchilada or Taco Sauce
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 fresh minced garlic cloves (optional) or 2 garlic powder (optional)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- salt or seasoning salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, drained and chopped
- 3⁄4 lb monterey jack cheese (or to taste) or 3⁄4 lb mild cheddar cheese, finey shredded (or to taste)
- 3⁄4 cup taco sauce (mild or spicy, I like the spicy!)
- 1 large avocados or 1 (6 ounce) package frozen avocado dip
- 1 1⁄4 cups sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup black olives, sliced
- tostados or tortilla chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Lighty grease a shallow 3-quart oven-proof dish.
- In a frypan, brown the ground beef with onion and garlic (if using), crumbling with a fork into fine pieces; drain, season with salt (or seasoning salt if using).
- Spread the refried beans into the bottom of the dish.
- Top the green chilies over beans.
- Top with cooked beef over beans.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Drizzle taco sauce over all.
- AT THIS POINT, you may cover and refrigerate to bake later.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Spread the mashed avocado over baked mixture.
- Then top with sour cream.
- Sprinkle/garnish with chopped green onions and olives.
- Serve with Tortilla chips.
- **NOTE** if preparing this in advance and refrigerating, you might want to bake it longer than 20 minutes.