This recipe goes back many years, it is one of my family's favorites, I have served this many times to dinner guests and received rave reviews, plan ahead the roast needs to marinade in the fridge overnight.
- 1 (4 -5 lb) boneless pork loin roast (rolled and tied, pick out the largest roast or prepare two!)
- 8 -10 garlic cloves, sliced in half (or use as much as desired)
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles Italian salad dressing
- 1⁄2 cup wine or 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- seasoning salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup apricot preserves
- 1⁄3 cup prepared mustard
- 3 -4 tablespoons brown sugar (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cut slits all over the pork roast, and insert a halved garlic clove in each hole.
- Place the roast in a large heavy-duty ziploc bag, or a large glass bowl.
- Add in the Italian salad dressing and wine (or cider vinegar).
- Turn bag to mix and coat the roast.
- Seal and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, remove the roast and drain the marinade.
- Set oven to 325°F, and grease a shallow roasting pan (large enough to hold the roast).
- Place the roast in baking dish and season with seasoning salt and pepper.
- Let the uncooked pork roast sit out at room temperature for about 45 minutes to 1 hour before placing in the oven to roast (this is important!).
- Bake uncovered for about 2 hours, or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees.
- Meanwhile prepare the mustard glaze: combine the apricot preserves, mustard, brown sugar and butter; brush over roast during the last 20-30 minutes of baking.