Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
The idea for this comes from a great restaurant I worked at. Tofu is cooked in a great marinade and served in a sandwich with cheddar. For me, it's comfort food.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 slices firm tofu
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- lettuce (optional)
- fresh basil (optional)
- onion (optional)
- To make the marinade, combine the oil, soy sauce, garlic, lime juice (lemon juice can also be used), and honey. Mix it with a fork until combined.
- Place the tofu in the marinade until ready to cook (this can be a few minutes or a few hours, it doesn't really matter).
- Cook the tofu in a pan with a little of the marinade, no oil is necessary as it is already in the marinade. Cook till golden brown (or to your liking).
- While the tofu is cooking, lightly toast the bread. Then spread the mayonnaise on one slice and the mustard on the other.
- When the tofu is cooked, place it on one slice of bread, put the cheddar on top, and place it bread-side down in the pan. Place the lid on the pan to let the cheese melt.
- When the cheese has melted, remove the sandwich, place any veggies on top of the cheese, and place the last piece of bread on top.
- Serve warm!
I used this for my first tofu sandwich. The marinade was good. I'm going to have to get used to the tofu on my sandwich, though.