Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
These are my family's favorite. We make these every time we have a fish fry. Wonderful and spicy.
Top Review by PixieDust
My husband loves to fry fish and is very good at it, but his hush puppies have always been just so-so. I made up the batter for these and he fried them. Oh WOW!! Very spicy; crispy on the outside; soft and tender on the inside. The spices and peppers are what make this a standout. Thanks Nurse Di.
- 1 3⁄4 cups self-rising cornmeal mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1⁄4 cup diced canned jalapeno pepper
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add milk, buttermilk, and egg; mix until blended.
- Stir in the onion and peppers.
- Carefully drop batter by level tablespoonfuls into deep hot oil (370 degrees).
- Fry 3-5 minutes, turning once, until hush puppies are golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.