Recipe by createamealmom
My mom always used to make porcupine meatballs with sauerkraut. This recipe has been tweaked and made easier. You will never have leftovers.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can beef broth (add water if needed)
- 3 cups instant brown rice (or white)
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut (large can)
- 1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut (small can)
- salt (if desired I found it does not need any)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and onions in 5 quart dutch oven. At the same time pour 1 can beef broth into a separate kettle and bring to a boil. Add rice and follow directions on instant rice box for cooking time. Brown rice takes a little longer. Once hamburger is browned and onions are tender add the rice (and any left over broth) to the ground beef. Add sauerkraut and simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve hot. It is delicious cold the next day too, that is if there are any leftovers.