1/10 Photos of Amazing Gluten-Free Buttermilk Donuts / Doughnuts
What's Cooking?'s Note:
They look like the real thing, they taste like the real thing, and best of all they're really not all that hard to make. The Gluten-Free Rice Flour Mix for this recipe is made of 3 cups white rice flour, 3 cups brown rice flour, 2 cups potato starch (not flour) and 1 cup tapioca starch. Based on a recipe from the GF-Utah site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Beat the eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in a large bowl with a whisk.
- 2Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Fold slowly into the wet ingredients, mixing by hand with a wooden spoon. When the ingredients are mostly combined, use your hands to knead a few times to make sure the ingredients are fully incorporated.
- 3Let the dough rest for 15 minutes. Sprinkle extra rice flour mix on your countertop or a large cutting board. Roll out dough to between 1/3 and 1/2 inch thick. If dough is sticky, work in more rice flour blend.
- 4Heat 2-3 inches of canola oil in the bottom of a pot until very hot (375 degrees F).
- 5Cut dough with doughnut cutter OR use a glass, biscuit cutter or jar with approximately 3-inch diameter to cut disks out of the dough and use the cap of the oil bottle to cut out the center hole.
- 6Remaining dough scraps can be rolled into balls ("donut holes") and fried.
- 7Carefully drop each doughnut in hot oil with fingers, being cautious not to splash oil. Cook until golden brown on both sides (just a few minutes). You will need to cook just a few at a time, but the cooking doesn't take long at all so this goes quickly.
- 8Remove donuts from oil with a slotted spoon or spatula, and place on a plate lined with two layers of paper towel or brown paper to absorb oil. While still warm, roll each donut in the bowl of sugar to coat fully. Alternately, you may omit this step and apply a glaze at this time.
- 9Serve while warm.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Amazing Gluten-Free Buttermilk Donuts / Doughnuts
Serving Size: 1 (61 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 120.3
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 32.1 mg
- Sodium 537.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 20.2 g
- Protein 1.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gluten-free rice flour mix