Recipe by JMS0173
This is about the best garlic bread I have ever had. Garlic wusses, proceed with caution!
Top Review by Pianolady
Wow!!! This was incredible garlic bread. I went with the mozzarella and left off the parmesan cheese, and it came out just perfect. My hubby and I both thought it was the best garlic bread we have had. The roasted garlic added a wonderful dimension to it! Served it with Jo Mama's World Famous Spaghetti #22782, and we couldn't have dreamed of a more wonderful dinner. Thanks so much for this fantastic recipe!!
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, whole
- olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 -4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- salt, pepper,cayenne,to taste
- parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or shredded (optional)
- 1 loaf good Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Take a piece of foil and place whole garlic cloves in it, coating with a generous amount of olive oil.
- Wrap tightly.
- Bake until done, 20 min to 1/2 hour.
- Cloves will be done when sweet smelling, soft and golden brown.
- Split bread lengthwise.
- Remove excess dough.
- Mash roasted garlic with all other ingredients except cheeses.
- Spread cut surfaces of bread with butter mixture.
- Sprinkle with parmesan and layer bottom half with mozzarella.
- Press halves together and wrap tightly in foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees until outer crust is crispy and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and cut into thick vertical slices.
- I like it just as it is, crispy outside, moist and chewy (and slightly saturated!) inside, but you could bake this open faced on a cookie sheet for a crisper texture.
- If you do this, put mozzarella on both sides.
- You can make the garlic butter ahead of time and refrigerate it.
- It's also to die for melted over hot pasta!