Recipe by Queenofcamping
This is a great soup...very inexpensive to make too. It is much easier to eat with the croutons instead of the bread. You can use more croutons if you want.
Top Review by bigbadbrenda
I really enjoyed the soup I found out the hard way was that I gave away my onion soup Bowls so I put it in foil tins. Hey it worked. Made for ZWT5 for Cooks with Dirty Faces. Can this be frozen at all. I would love to make up a bunch and freeze them.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4-1 cup vidalia onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 cups beef broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions in butter.
- Add sugar and flour to make a paste, then add broth stirring to mix well and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place 4-6 croutons in bottom of broiler safe bowls/crocks.
- Pour broth mixture over and croutons will rise to the top.
- Add 2 slices of provolone cheese on top of each bowl/crock.
- Put on cookie sheet and broil for a minute or 2 till cheese starts to brown.
- Let sit for a few minutes.