This is a great soup...very inexpensive to make too. It is much easier to eat with the croutons instead of the bread. You can use more croutons if you want.
- Saute onions in butter.
- Add sugar and flour to make a paste, then add broth stirring to mix well and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place 4-6 croutons in bottom of broiler safe bowls/crocks.
- Pour broth mixture over and croutons will rise to the top.
- Add 2 slices of provolone cheese on top of each bowl/crock.
- Put on cookie sheet and broil for a minute or 2 till cheese starts to brown.
- Let sit for a few minutes.