Prep 10 mins
Cook 32 mins
This is a great soup...very inexpensive to make too. It is much easier to eat with the croutons instead of the bread. You can use more croutons if you want.
- Saute onions in butter.
- Add sugar and flour to make a paste, then add broth stirring to mix well and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place 4-6 croutons in bottom of broiler safe bowls/crocks.
- Pour broth mixture over and croutons will rise to the top.
- Add 2 slices of provolone cheese on top of each bowl/crock.
- Put on cookie sheet and broil for a minute or 2 till cheese starts to brown.
- Let sit for a few minutes.
I really enjoyed the soup I found out the hard way was that I gave away my onion soup Bowls so I put it in foil tins. Hey it worked. Made for ZWT5 for Cooks with Dirty Faces. Can this be frozen at all. I would love to make up a bunch and freeze them.
Quick and simple! I deglazed the pan with apple cider vinegar before adding the broth. I cubed 3 slices of frozen bread, threw them in the toaster oven for a few minutes, poured melted butter on them, then topped with shredded swiss and toasted again- made a great topping! For ZWT4 Flying Duchess'
We had this as part of dinner last night. Easy to prepare & great results. French onion soup (except for packet mix, which we use for making dip), so it was great to have this again. Will definitely make this again.