Prep1 hr 30 mins
You can make a challah in under 2 hours using quick rise yeast. This recipe is for one small loaf of challah.
- Mix warm water, oil and egg together into a stand mixer bowl. Mix, with kneading hook, until blended.
- Add salt, sugar, and yeast and flour ( small amount at a time). Mix with hook until a soft dough is formed. You may need to add a bit more warm water ( or more flour if needed). Check the dough, it should be soft and slightly sticky. It should easily form into a smooth ball. When the right consistency is reached, knead with hook for 6 minutes.
- Take dough ball out and place into oiled bowl-turn it over so that the oil in on all sides. Cover with saran wrap and let rise until doubled ( about 30 minutes or more).
- Punch down dough and divide into thirds. Roll each piece into a strand . Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place all three strands onto sheet and braid. Cover with saran wrap and let rise again until doubled ( about 30 minutes or more). In the mean time preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush top of braid with beaten egg yolk and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.