Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a really nice change from the basic fresh cranberry sauce and I would never buy canned sauce again! Very simple to make, and the leftovers added to a package of raspberry jello makes an awesome fruity jello dessert.
- 1 (12 ounce) bag fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over for imperfect berries
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed pineapple
- 1 (10 ounce) can mandarin orange segments
- 1⁄2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- Drain juice from pineapple and mandarine oranges and set fruit aside.
- Use 1 cup of juice from canned fruit in place of the water normally used to cook cranberries.
- In a medium saucepan, combine juice and sugar, boiling until sugar is dissolved.
- Add cranberries and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to med low, add salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and allspice.
- Cook untill all the berries have popped and suace is thickened,
- Cool to room temperature, Fold in reserved pineapple and mandarine orange segments.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- At serving time sprinkle chopped pecan over the top and enjoy.
The name could NOT be more correct! I had to make it twice in three days! Had to share the recipe a few times, too! It was tough to not eat too much at one time! Also worked beautifully in cranberry sauce muffins and chewy cranberry bars (shortbread base) - I combined the leftover sauce with orange marmalade for the bars! JUST AWESOME!
loved it!! Am hoping for some to be left to try in jello.